Saturday, October 27, 2007

How Time Does Fly...

Start music: Fleetwood Mac's The Chain (seems kind of fitting for the girl who's too lazy to update all that often...)

So October's almost over, and we passed our halfway point sometime earlier this week. It's weird - it seems like time has sped by being here, and yet it seems like there's so much time left to go. It doesn't help that a very vocal part of my brain is convinced that cold weather = Christmas and that it is, therefore, almost Christmas.

I'm all registered for classes today - thanks to Baylor weirdness, I have all 15 academic hours on MWF, running from 8 AM to 3.30, maybe? And since harp tends to fall on Mondays, I'll probably just be working on Tuesday/Thursday - crazy, isn't it? My schedule came out with: Principles of Microeconomics (04), Intermediate German (01), Fundamentals of International Politics (02), Russian Reading Development, Introduction to Slavic/Eastern European Studies, and Harp. Anyone have class with me?

Things I've done today: gone to the gym, gathered up my clothes for the wash, had a discussion with my hozhaika about the wash (which I think has probably resulted in everything - pinks, darks, whites, getting washed together...), had a discussion with my hozhaika about rent payment (she's decided she wants USD this month since she "already has Russian money". Because it's so easy to find USD in provincial Russia...), bought lunch at a kiosk (I miss Dr Pepper, and I'm going to miss 25 ruble pitas), and now I'm on the Internet (in case you can't tell).

Things I'm excited about: the cookie thing in my purse, going to the grocery to buy water*, the bookstore that sells both English novels and Star Wars books in Russian, the ballet in a few weeks (I'm going twice in the same week), the upcoming trip to the Caucasuses, the fact that I got my box from my parents yesterday (!) (Erica - your birthday book made it all the way to Russia - the 'rents mailed it to me, and it made me glad), the fact that I've actually cast on and started knitting a sweater (it's about two inches long at the moment...), and who knows what else.

My brain's kind of scattered at the moment, so apologies for the correspondingly scattered blog post. Tell me about what's going on with all of y'all at home - I miss you! Have a Happy Halloween!

*The grocery store is an actual Western-style supermarket. I can't recall if I've blogged about it before, but trust me, it makes my heart glad to go and wander up and down the marked aisles, where you can pick up things and examine them for yourself and look in the freezer cases and all that. It's funny the things that end up being comforting...

2 comments:

Ashless said...

Wow, a sweater! That's exciting. And so are grocery stores that have freezers you can look in, although I have to say, I've taken them for granted till now.

I'm so extremely sad that I won't see you next semester since I haven't got to see you this semester at all. We have to get together during the break. I don't leave for Sicily till late January, so maybe I try to arrange to fly out of Dallas or something so I have an excuse to drive to Waco first. Ooh, we could go dancing in Dallas!

Anyway, time seriously does fly, because I don't feel have way done with college, let alone half way done with fall semester of Junior year! And can you imagine, H is graduating in like less than 7 months? Crazy.

On a brighter note, I'm listening to Tchaikovsky - look at me, I totally spelled that right! - and thinking of you. :-) Have a happy halloween! Eat lots of Russian chocolate!

Anonymous said...

Lemme know how the sweater goes.

Funny how time goes by so quickly and doesn't go quickly enough, you know?

Oh my word, I hear you on the supermarket thing. Whenever I was in Scotland I'd pop into a Tesco at least once a week to buy lunch and a Diet Coke...it was lovely. Kept me sane. At least in Britain they label stuff in English and you can kind of tell what it is. ;)

I'm so happy Russians play Sousa. No, really, that amuses me to death.

I'm going up to visit the girls this upcoming weekend; wish you were there for me to visit, too. I'd come over, but Russia's kind of a long way away.