Thursday, November 29, 2007

Going Postal, Part II

So, after another 1.5 hours at the post office, a new box, and about $50, the parcel has been sent. Why a new box? Apparently, in Russia your box is not good enough. You must mail it in a blue box with Pochta Rossii written all over it. Also, you must write out in words the value of the contents of the box. Are they trying to decide whose box is worth raiding? (It really does happen - the customs officials somewhere along the way helped themselves to some candy from one of the other girls' box...) The actual writing of these numbers was the problem, since Mrs. GrumpyPants, the postal employee, having already established that I was a foreigner who didn't speak the language fluently, uses some crazy verb, rather than just doing things the simple way. Fortunately, the lady behind me in line had more mercy (and she probably realized that helping me would expedite her turn), and she broke things down into simpler language.

I sent it by land (or by sea, in this case), as air mail would've cost $80, and that's more than the stupid box was worth. I don't know when it's arriving in the States - I asked the grumpy lady at the post office how long it would take, and she said that once it leaves Russian borders, she doesn't know (nor did she really care). So, Erica, your present is on its way to the States - I just don't know when it'll get there. (And are you thinking Paris in the fall?)

Weather-wise, it's been snowing pretty much constantly for the past several days. Falling snow is a) pretty when you're inside, b) an excellent distraction when they're trying to teach you basic verb conjugation AGAIN (got it already - moving on...), c) good news, since snow has better traction than ice, and d) a pain when it's not falling so much as shooting parallel to the ground, and into your face. I went to lunch at an Italian place with some of the kids from my class on Wednesday, and by the time we got to the restaurant (less than a mile from school), I looked like I'd dumped a bucket of water on myself. Soaked hair, runny mascara, the whole nine yards - it was just lovely. Perhaps this is why so many Russians rock the Eskimo hoods on their parkas (even so, they still look silly. Just sayin').

Y'all are amazing and awesome and other adjectives, including some that don't begin with the letter "a". I love hearing from everyone - take care and stay warm! And if you're feeling very kindly disposed towards me, do me a favor and let me know where you're living in the fall. I'm trying to puzzle this out, but not being around complicates matters...

Anyhow, have a wonderful Friday!

2 comments:

roadtojoy said...

Yay for presents and getting your package mailed!! I'm thinking Paris in the fall unless I won't have a place to live in the Spring, in which case I'll do the opposite, but fall looks like it might work.

As for living, Ashley and I were at the apartment fair (by accident) on Tuesday and looked at a lot of apartments, cause there's a rumor about Memorial being full. There's some cheap ones that one or two people can afford that aren't bad at all. She needs to sign a lease before Christmas because of Sicily and stuff. I don't know if that actually helped at all. Sorry. I'll let you know more.

I hope you're having a lot of fun. I'm excited to see you soon!

chelsey said...

Today in Russian, I was the only person in the class who knew anything about hockey. It was horribly sad when Evelina wrote 'I don't know anybody' on the board in response to the question "Who is your favorite hockey player?"

Speaking of ice-related sports, I've been watching figure skating weekly. Next semester, we should do this together. It's much more fun to watch when you're not alone!

I'm living at Brooks. You should too. I mean, it's where the cool kids go..