Monday, November 12, 2007

I'm Bored, Therefore I Blog

So I really have spent the past few days bored out of my mind and somewhat starved for human contact. It's probably a bad sign when you start missing dorm life (and I have a room in Memorial in the spring, woohoo). I do in fact live with an older woman and a 19-year-old boy, but Sveta only speaks Russian, so that's mentally taxing and Sasha's a pain, partially because he is very much a teenage boy. At the same time, my loneliness is kind of good - I'm about to spend a week with 20 other college kids in fairly close quarters, so this way, I'll last longer before I start going crazy. And then I can come back and enjoy my quiet, non-peopleness.

The weather here has been doing a crazy sine-wave type thing, so basically we alternate between slush and ice, or sometimes we get both in the form of slushy ice.

I've spent most of the weekend just chilling and getting stuff together for the trip to the Caucauses - knitting, reading (very slowly, a novel in Russian, among other things), buying stuff. The usual.

I'm excited for our trip tomorrow - it should be interesting. For starters, the train stops at the station we get on at for a whopping 2 minutes. Someone should take video of 20 of us hurling ourselves onto the train and post in on YouTube. We had a little 'orientation' at school today.
VSU's Rules for Travelling in the Caucauses:
1. Don't go to Chechnya. (or Dagestan, or Ingushetia, or North Ossetia, I'm assuming.)
2. Don't go to Georgia. (The country - I don't think they have anything against the state.)
3. Don't fall off the mountain.

I think there was some other stuff in there, too, but the above was really the important bits.

I have the distinct feeling that I really intended to be more entertaining in this post, but the sun's gone down and it seems to have sapped all my energy. I guess I'm solar-powered - who knew?

PS - I haven't made any reference to Christmas in this post yet, so CHRISTMAS! Have a nice day.

4 comments:

perplexed_lassie said...

Christmas! I love Christmas! I hope you have a fantastic trip. And that you don't fall off the mountain.

chelsey said...

Georgia makes me think of that cute little figure skater in the Olympics from Georgia, and how the commentators kept saying that it was hard for her to keep up her energy because she had to train on teeny-tiny rinks. I don't know why I remember this in such detail.

I love Christmas!! Christmas lights are up in my dorm, and I randomly got together with a group of about 10 people and sang Christmas carols in the Quad of Brooks last night. It was amazing.

Have a fantabulous trip!!

Ashless said...

Awww, darn, I know you were so looking forward to falling off the mountain!

Well, your living arrangements sound different, that's for sure. When you come home you'll have like a million stories to tell about when you lived in Russia with a woman and a teenage boy...you can talk about it anytime someone starts being arrogant...it will be great.

I think I may be living in Memorial again next year. Lulu and Sarah are both graduating a semester early, so I can't live with them, and I'd rather live in the dorm than an apartment so that I don't have to go grocery shopping and cook and do dishes and clean two bathrooms and a living room and all that. We'll be hallmates again! I'm so excited!

Ruth said...

I miss Sara!
You are hilarious and you do a great job of being entertaining :)
Why shouldn't you go to Georgia? My violin teacher is from there (yes, the country).
Also, I can't wait until you come home!!