Friday, September 14, 2007

La La La

Happy Saturday everyone!

So my first full week of proper classes is now complete (OK, sans Monday since I stayed home, but that's only one class). Grammar is boring (big surprise), even though it is mildly entertaining that the professor continually apologizes for the Russian language. Practical Speaking is mind-numbingly basic at the moment, but I'm holding out hope that it'll get better. Phonetics is aggravating more than anything, but we get to laugh at ourselves and each other, so whatever. I really like Russian Regional Culture so far - it's all in Russian, but it's understandable. The first class was really interesting, as we talked about the derivations of various names and how most names people think of as "Russian" are actually derived from other cultures. Russian Military History is cool, and I like the professor. I need to do my homework - a three-minute speech on Chechnya (in Russian). I kind of need to find a military dictionary to use - it's on today's shopping list. History of Voronezh is ok - we have it with the Estonian kids, and the teacher speaks more to their level than to ours, so part of it goes over our heads. And finally, Russian Folk Songs is great. The professor is entertaining and he has a great voice. It's actually really quite fun to sing together like that.

Props to everyone who just waded through that big block of text - it's good practice for the real world, right?

It's been raining all week, which really stinks if you don't have an umbrella or a rain jacket (namely, me). I did buy a pretty blue fleece yesterday to add another layer and keep warm, so that makes me happy. It's just chilly and windy here today, but it's really not bad at all without the rain.

Today, we're going to be doing some shopping and looking to see if we can find the Baptist church. Sasha the elder drew me a map, so we should be okay. For shopping, Voronezh is described by Russians as a "small city" (because 1 million people is definitely small). However, I think one of the WP boys was right on when he said it's really like living in a New York neighborhood. The shops are all along the fronts of the streets and apartments are either above them or set back off the street on an alleyway sort of set up.

There are lots of little boutique-type shops on the way to school, most of which have very few clothes that cost quite a lot of money. We've now found another yarn shop right around the corner from us, which is very nice. I've got the scarf I'm working on, and then probably another. After that, I think I'm going to try my hand at a sweater. Then I can wear said sweater and be slightly less cold.

There are also several open air markets within easy walking distance of us. At least one extends for several blocks - it's just row upon row of little stalls selling shoes, hose, shirts, purses - anything and everything. Everytime I've been, it's rained, so I'm hoping to get to go when I'm not primarily concerned with my falling body temperature.

Hopefully that's enough reading material for y'all. Enjoy the weekend!

2 comments:

roadtojoy said...

Yay! updates are fun.

Tell us about your family...!

We've been watching Supernatural at the apartment (meaning twice), so you might be glad you missed some of those...

roadtojoy said...

I'll probably take the international politics poli sci class next semester. i have two advising appointments within two days in a week or so. they'll tell me what to do, i'm incapable of decision.

we should have a class together!